Thursday, July 22, 2010

Alcove Bed

Before
I've always loved window seats.  We have a 1970's split level with no such thing and three not-so-big bedrooms.  The smallest bedroom belongs to my youngest daughter, Sydney.  She will be turning 5 in a few weeks and is still sleeping in her "toddler bed" ... a converted crib.  I don't want her kindergarten friends to come visit and make fun of her baby bed, so the time has come for my long awaited project.  I came up with the idea to build an alcove bed by her window, which will save some floor space and provide some much needed storage.  It will also give the functionality of my much loved window seat.


Alcove bed concept
I'm going to start tackling this project alone tonight after work.  I have both apprehension (can I do this by myself?) and excitement (finally, I get to play designer!) going into it.  My kids are going on a grandma tour for 1.5 weeks ... an unprecendented happening.  My husband is going primitive camping with his friend until Monday.  Though I might be able to talk him into helping me next week in the evenings, home remodeling is not his idea of a good time. 

I purchased a trundle bed unit from a local furniture store's clearance section last year.  I will be building this in under her bed.  I haven't decided if it will be an extra bed or storage, but it is versatile like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment